jane

Monday, 20 October 2014

The project that's destined never to be finished...


Hi guys, long time no see.  I've not been working on any miniatures this year as life's been keeping me busy doing other things. The Georgian house is almost complete and the French house is almost complete so I can add to them as and when I feel like it, but I have a shop that I have barely started and I have been thinking a lot about whether I should continue with this third project or not...



It is an Anglesey Dolls House shop, beautifully made, and I have had it for years and years.  It is/was going to be a patisserie/cafe/something I'm not quite sure, but I have not done any work on it in a very long time.  I've primed the wood.  Drilled holes for the lighting.  Laid the copper tape for the lights to be connected.  I've wallpapered and painted the ceilings.  I've painted the stairs.  I've stained the shop exterior.  But then I stopped...




I bought some tables and chairs for the cafe.  I bought shelving units from Lincoln's of Harrogate because I knew they were retiring.  I've made lots of little cakes and buns and bread.  I have papers for the floors.  But still I can't bring myself to work on this project...



This year I came very close to selling my real house which made me think "how much room do I need for my dollshouses?"  I have been very lucky as in my last home and the one I live in now I have been able to display and play with my houses away from the rooms used by the rest of the family.  At the moment I have a large attic room where my dollshouses (and my other hobbies) live but when I do move home (which will be in the next five years for sure) it will be somewhere smaller and I'm not sure where the two dollshouses I already have will go let alone a third one..




And here's my other dilemma... can I afford to spend more money, a lot more money, on my miniatures when I am looking towards retirement and wondering do I have enough money to live on for the rest of my days?  Our hobby is not cheap.  Not if you like the fabulously high quality miniatures that are on offer out there.  Could I just appreciate and enjoy the two houses I already have without adding to the collection?

Until I make my mind up the shop sits next to the other houses waiting for me to begin work on it again.  Maybe I should leave it that way until I make my mind up for sure one way or the other.

Do you have any projects you started but can't finish?

x





5 comments:

  1. I'm in a similar situation - not in the sense of having a project I can't bring myself to finish - but the issue of moving/retirement looming and how that impacts on our hobby. I bought a shop building that I loved just before we decided we'd be returning to NZ to live in about 12 months so I sold it on. I also have a big Georgian house that I bought a while ago but just didn't get to work on yet which I'm redecorating to make it something different compared to all the others that look just like it that are for sale before selling it on also. I think that if you do decide not to continue working on it there would be someone out there who would love to get their hands on it and enjoy completing it. I know I would if I didn't live on the other side of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Entire houses take up a lot of space so I had a dollhouse made for me that resembles a book shelf, tall and narrow like a terrace/row house. Lacking space for another In this unbelievably tiny house we live in, I opted for roomboxes that can sit in book cases, hang on a wall or horizontal surface like ornaments. Fortunately my husband is very understanding ;) On a low income I opt to make quite a lot of the contents and only give in occasionally to yearnings to buy very special things. Mind you, i could very easily give in to a yearning to have your beautiful shop if we didn't live on the other side of the world :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had houses that I have started building then given up on for a while, sometimes even for a couple of years. I usually try something else until I get inspired again. Maybe you could try a smaller scale or room box.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm facing the same issues only multiplied over several house kits and room box kits in various scales that I have bought or been given over the years. I love building them but to furnish them in any detail costs so much money which somewhat like buying a car is money gone forever to instant depreciation. And then to display them takes so much room, they collect dust, and few people really appreciate them apart from myself. Sometimes it all seems a rather pointless waste of time and resources even though I really enjoy doing it. I might try finishing a few of the kits as unfurnished shells and see what I can get for them on eBay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Shiny, sounds like you have a bigger problem than I do and you raise another interesting question, do we sell our current miniatures to pay for our future ones?

      Delete